15 Camping Meal Ideas for Vegetarians
There is something special about camping outdoors. The light breeze, the smell of trees, the starry night sky… Everything is absolutely perfect when surrounded with nature, and what’s best is the fact that it’s a relaxing way to spend time alone or with your loved ones. Through camping, you learn a lot of life lessons and be one with yourself, experiencing true life and survival through the great outdoors. May you be camping in your backyard, by the mountains, or even fields, it’s definitely something one must do in their lifetime!
The best thing about camping is the food, too! Learning how to cook by the campfire and munching on some delicious s’mores at night is the highlight of both kids and adults’ camp night out. But sometimes, there are people who aren’t able to eat certain things due to allergies or ethical reasons. Vegetarians and vegans need not worry about their meal plan being ruined during a camping trip, because there ARE recipes that will suit both you and your family.
Here are 15 camping meal ideas for vegetarians, based on mealtimes:
- French toast – Perfect for breakfast, did you know that you can actually make French toast by the campfire? Add some almond milk and flour to replace the eggs, and that way you won’t have to worry about breaking your diet, or cracking egg shells during the trip! Add some fruit and maple syrup, and your sweet tooth will thank you.
- Campfire Nachos – A great snack or appetizer to fill those hungry tummies while waiting for the main course, nachos are very easy to make and will definitely taste delicious when toasted under the campfire. The melted cheese and toppings make a great combination with nacho chips. Throw in chopped bell peppers and tomatoes, too!
- Veggie bacon or sausages – Pair this with bread or rice and you’ll have a savory meal that tastes exactly like the American breakfast everyone loves. High in protein, this will keep you satiated for longer and fill you up with the good nutrients your body needs throughout the whole camping trip.
- Cauliflower chickpea coconut curry – For those who love a bit of spice in their life, this vegetarian curry made of chickpeas won’t have you missing meat at all! Deliciously creamy and made of fine ingredients that give you the proper nutrients, you’ll definitely be filled with the sweet spices of the coconut and chickpea combination.
- Mac n’ Cheese – You can actually make these by the campfire or prepare it at home while warming it up during your trip. There’s no better way to enjoy the camping trip than with the cheesy goodness reaching your stomach. Protein from the cheese and carbs from the pasta, you’ll be able to get your energy from this meal!
- Black bean burgers – Who said you had to give up burgers when you became a vegetarian? Enjoy by making a patty out of black beans and add your favorite vegetables to make a delicious “hamburger”! Tweak the recipe and make your own veggie burgers with beans and your favorite veggies.
- Vegetable stir fry – Easy to make whether at home or in the camping site, a vegetable stir fry is a good and nutritious meal consisting of colorful vegetables you and your family will enjoy. Add in your favorite veggies and seasoning, along with some fried rice or noodles, and you’ve got yourself a complete meal!
- Tofu veggie kebabs – Who said tofu was gross? Have these grilled with some tomatoes and onions, and you’ve got yourself some good kebab. Match it with some homemade peanut sauce to brighten up the flavors.
- Chickpea salad sandwich – Your sandwiches needn’t be boring with just plain vegetables or jam. Try making your own mashed chickpea salad and fill it into bread or bagels to make a delicious, filling sandwich everyone would enjoy. Try adding it in hummus with avocados to add a twist.
- Grilled tofu with soba noodles – For those who love Asian cuisine, this is the meal for you. Simply grill some tofu, cook the soba noodles and add your favorite sauces and seasonings. Delicious, filling, and no frills!
- Veggie hotdogs or burgers – Just like sausages and bacon, there are vegetarian variants for your favorite American food as well. You can make hotdog sandwiches out of vegetables or other types of vegetarian-friendly ingredients, or you can purchase readymade ones from your supermarket!
- Bonfire banana boats – These are perfect for dessert. A sweet ending that’s totally different and unique from the usual s’mores, simply make a pocket out of your banana and add in whatever you want, toasting it in the fire. Chocolate, nuts, syrup, you name it and your taste buds will love it!
- Chili Campfire Bake – Chili is the go-to for every camping trip! It’s never complete without some baked chili. Did you know you can skip the ground beef and go for all vegetarian? There are various recipes you can find that replace meat with beans or tofu. Top it with some cheese and bake it by the fire, and you’ve got the cheesy, spicy goodness that can be paired with rice or crackers.
- Baked Potatoes – Make pockets out of your potatoes, add in your favorite toppings, and bake them by the fire. Very simple and only uses foil to bake, you won’t regret trying these out and sharing the goodness with your family or friends!
- Campfire cakes – Hold the phone: You can actually make cakes when camping? Using simple ingredients and orange skins as the cups, you’ll be able to create your own delicious cakes that require no egg or meat products. Plus, you get to eat the oranges that weren’t used!
These delicious recipes will still be enjoyed by the family. It’s healthy, follows a good and balanced diet, and you get to have the complete nutrients, energizing you for the day ahead! Try these hassle-free ingredients and enjoy the trip with healthy, nutritious food that follows your dietary needs! You don’t need to completely give up everyone’s favorite food when camping, so enjoy!