Best Camping Knife: A Must-Have For Outdoor Enthusiasts
While there are many tools that can prove to be essential investments for outdoor enthusiasts, one of the best thing to have is a camping knife. The latter can be useful in more ways than one, such as when setting up temporary shelter, cooking food, and survival, among other things.
If you are on the lookout for the best camping knife, consider yourself lucky that you have chanced upon this article. In the rest of this post, we will let you know how to choose a camping knife, and more importantly, what is the best product to pick.
Types of Camping Knife
One of the ways to categorize the options that are available is through their design. The following are the options that you will be confronted with:
- Fixed-blade Camping Knife: As the name implies, the blade remains in a fixed position. They are large and strong, making them perfect even for heavy-duty cutting applications in the campsite. Whether it is for cutting, splitting, digging, prying, hunting, food preparation, and first aid, among others, it will be a good choice.
- Folding Camping Knife: If you are looking for a portable and discrete knife, on the other hand, this is the perfect option for you. They are easy to bring with you in the campsite because of their size. However, they are for light-duty tasks as they can accidentally collapse if used in heavy tasks.
Choosing the Best Camping Knife
To help you narrow down the possibilities, below are some of the most important things that should be given careful thought:
- Blade: The design and material used in the blade are some of the most important factors to consider as they will have an impact on the performance of the camping knife. Carbon and stainless steel are some of the most popular. Make sure to choose one that can resist rust and corrosion while demonstrating incredible sharpness even after long-term use.
- Handle: It is important that the handle comes with an ergonomic design, which will have an effect on comfort. A patterned and non-slip grip is also good since it will lessen the likelihood that you will suffer from an injury while using the knife. Some of the common handle materials are wood, composite, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber.
- Size: When it comes to camping knives, one that is compact is always better because it will be easier for you to bring. However, consider the fact that if it is small, it can also be weaker, and hence, the uses might be limited only to light applications.
- Sheath: Not all of the camping knives are sold with sheaths or cover. It will be good to choose one that has a sheath, especially if you will opt for a fixed-blade knife. This will offer protection from the blade and will also prevent accidental cuts.
- Lock: If you will opt for a folding camping knife, choose one that comes with a locking blade. This will provide you with the assurance that the blade will not accidentally fold up while you are still using it.
- Purpose: Before you start shopping for a camping knife, think about the intended purpose of the knife. If it is going to be used mainly for preparing food, a basic knife will be more than enough. On the other hand, if you will use it for wood or other materials, you have to pick a stronger knife
- Warranty: As much as possible, choose a product that comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. They will not hesitate to offer such if they are confident that their knife will last for a long time.
- Reviews: By now, if you are still unsure of what makes the best choice, you need to take time to go through online reviews. Read experiences from actual users and it will be easier for you to come up with a well-informed decision.
Top Choices for the Best Camping Knife
Below are five of the brands and models that you might want to consider, as well as some of the features that provide them with a distinct advantage over their competitors.
This is one of the most affordable options in the marketplace, which is why it deserves to be on the top of our list. Despite its price, its quality will be hard to rival, especially if you are looking for a knife that is meant for light to medium-duty uses in the campsite. It is also a good thing that it comes with a plastic sheath. This can provide protection from external elements when it is stored.
The high-friction and patterned grip is also worth commending, which will allow you to hold the knife in a manner that is stable and comfortable. Still not convinced to choose this knife? You might have a change of mind after knowing that the manufacturer is offering a lifetime warranty for this product.
- Affordable price
- Comes with a sheath
- Extensive warranty coverage
- Can be prone to stains and rusts
- Not for heavy-duty cutting
This camping knife proves that you do not have to spend a fortune to enjoy a high-quality product, even with its reasonable price, it is a well-received knife, which should be enough to provide you with peace of mind. The wood grain handle is excellent not only when it comes to its aesthetics, but also in terms of ergonomics. Holding it will be comfortable. The blade, on the other hand, has a crescent tip and can be useful in a wide array of situations in the campsite. There is sheath that is included to keep the knife safe and secured. Lastly, the manufacturer is offering Forever Warranty, which shows how confident they are that their product will last a lifetime.
- Has a reasonable price
- Locks securely
- Premium and durable construction
- Sheath quality could be better
- Release lever can be quite hard
Among others, the drop-point style blade with a length of 3.45 inches is one of the best things about this product. It has high-quality construction and delivers exceptional sharpness, making it perfect for a variety of uses.
More than the blade, it is also worth noting that it comes with an excellent handle, which is designed in such a way that it will stay in your hand. This reduces the possibility of suffering from injury. Also, because of its ergonomic shape, it will be comfortable to hold, even for an extended period. Lastly, it is made in an American manufacturing plant that uses state-of-the-art equipment and employs stringent quality testing to make sure that their products are beyond comparison.
- Easy folding design
- High-quality blade
- Ergonomic handle
- Quite expensive
- A bit large for some
The folding design of this camping knife is one of its best assets. You can easily stash it in your backpack or pocket without the need to worry about its size and weight. The blade has a length of 3.39 inches and the overall length, including the handle, is 7.76 inches. Its blade is made from high-quality stainless steel with premium coating, which is one of the reasons why it is surely going to withstand the test of time. Plus, even after long-term use, you can be confident that the blade will stay sharp. The blade also has excellent sharpness from the tip to its hilt, making it a reliable companion in the outdoors.
- Compact and folding design
- Well-made handle
- Blade stays sharp
- There are lots of knockoffs
- Blade can be prone to chipping
This is an expensive knife, but if you take a look at its features, it won’t take long before you realize that the cost is justifiable. One of the best reasons to opt for this product is the fact that it is used even by the Swedish National Defense, which is already a clear testament of how its quality will be hard to rival. It comes with a drop-point blade that is made from stainless. It has a stain finish. It can be a multi-functional knife since the blade is sharp, and hence, will be able to do a lot of things.
- Has a sharp fixed blade
- Large elastomer handle
- Has a sheath
- Expensive price
- Easily prone to rusting
If you love the outdoors, you should definitely have the best camping knife. It is lightweight and compact. It is also multifunctional as it can be used in more ways than one. If you are setting up a tent or preparing food for dinner, among other things, this knife will be handy.
From the five products that we have briefly tackled in this post, if there is only one that I can recommend, it would be Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife. The affordable price is just one of the reasons why it is a favorite amongst many people. It also comes with its sheath and has an excellent blade. Best of all, the manufacturer is offering a lifetime warranty.