Best Camping Water Filter: Have Clean Drinking Water Anywhere, Anytime
In the campsite, clean drinking water is a luxury that is hard to find. Even when you are backpacking or trekking, water may be easily accessible, but the problem is that you can never be assured of its safety. In most instances, they can be filled with contaminants that can harm your health in more ways than one. A supposed to be fun camping experience can instantly turn into a disaster!
With the best camping water filter, there is no need to be worried. Even if you are outdoors, a portable filtration system will be highly-instrumental in the removal of contaminants in water. You can take advantage of nearby sources of water and the filter will do the job to make it clean and safe for consumption. Clueless about which one makes the best choice? Keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll let you know some of the top options that are available in the market.
Types of Camping Water Filters
In your search for the best camping water purifier, you will be confronted with a lot of options, making it overwhelming. The first thing that requires your attention is the type of water filter. In this case, the following are some of the options that you will have:
- Pump Filters: In the case of this filter, you need to drop the hose on the source of water. Attach the outlet to the bottle and start pumping. This will allow you to process exactly the amount of water that is needed. One of the main drawbacks, however, is that pumping will require quite an effort on your end.
- Gravity Filters: Start by filling the reservoir with water, making sure to not exceed the stated capacity. You can retrieve water from the hose, which also provides the filtration mechanism. While it requires minimal effort, the problem is that you need to find a place for hanging. Also, the treatment is a bit slow.
- Ultra-Violet Light Purifiers: This is an innovative pen-style device, which you simply have to dip on your water in a container. When the UV light turns off, this is an indication that the treatment has been successfully completed. It is an easy and quick way to purify water, but the problem is that it can only purify a small quantity at once.
- Bottle Water: This is one of the easiest and simplest options you might want to consider. The bottle is designed with a unique top, which will automatically filter water upon drinking.
- Squeeze Filter: This works like the bottle filter, but the difference is that you squeeze the water, pushing it through the filter.
- Straw Cylinder: As the name implies, it functions much just like a straw. Dip it in the source of water and drink straight from the straw.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you try to choose a portable water purifier, make sure that the factors mentioned below will be taken into consideration:
- Weight: For sure, you won’t want one that will be a significant addition on your camping gear. With this, choose one that is lightweight and compact, making it offer the best when it comes to durability. You can easily stash it in your bag and carrying it will never be a burden.
- Source of Water: Before anything else, you also have to consider how clear is the water from the source. There are some models that will require pre-filtration, such as through a clean cloth. However, there are advanced models what will work even if your water is not that clear.
- Ease of Use: Choose a water filter that is user-friendly. This means that using it should be devoid of complications. Also, it must be quick to treat water. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions on how you can use their water filter.
- Technical Specifications: Looking at the technical details may be overwhelming, but this is one thing that you should do to differentiate the possibilities. For instance, look at the micron ratings, which refer to the average size of the filter’s opening. A smaller micron range is better because it means that smaller contaminants won’t be able to pass through.
- Durability: It is important as well to make sure that the water filter is durable. This means that it should withstand the test of time. It should be made from long-lasting materials that can withstand wear and tear.
Top Picks for the Best Camping Water Filter
Still clueless about which one to choose? Below are five of the options you might want to take into consideration.
If you are looking for an affordable and simple water purifier, this should be on the top of your list. It does not take a genius to figure out how it can be used. Also, because it is a straw filter, you can use it directly on the source of water.
The filter that is included in this product can be good for treating up 1,000 liters of water. It can eliminate up to 99.99% of waterborne bacteria and pathogens. The hollow fiber membrane filter is basically the one responsible for this.
Lastly, with a weight of only two ounces, it is easy to bring regardless of where you are. There are no complicated parts and you won’t be required to deal with lengthy assembly.
- Affordable price
- A lot of suction is needed
- May be quite flimsy
Among others, one of the best features of this product is the 3-stage filtration, making sure that the water will be as clean as possible. With this, you can expect that it will be effective in the removal of 99.99% of bacteria and protozoa.
At an affordable price, this is an impressive product because of the accessories that are already included, such as the extension straw, water pouch, syringe, and pre-filter. You will have everything that you will need to get started.
Lastly, this can also be a good choice because it was tested to ensure its safety, providing you with the guarantee that it adheres with the global standards.
- Has multiple stages of filtration
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes with a set of accessories
- Cleaning can be tricky
- Bag could be more durable
Among other things, the Vario Dual Technology is one of the best features of this product. Aside from the ceramic pre-filter, it also comes with glass fiber filter, which will make it effortless to come up with clean water. Another thing that makes this an exceptional choice is the high filtration capacity, which is two quarts per minute. There is also a carbon core on the outer part, which can be replaced when it wears out. It is also a good thing that it can be attached directly to a compatible water bottle. Lastly, it has high-quality hose that will not be easily prone to wear and tear.
- Durable construction
- Produces clean-tasting water
- Assembly is easy
- A bit expensive
Simplicity is one of the reasons why this product stands out from many others within the competitive landscape. Simply fill the bottle with water and you can drink straight from the straw.
The filter is made from hollow fiber membrane, which has a high-level of effectiveness in removing protozoa, bacteria, and other impurities that are present in water. the filter has a filtration capacity of almost 1,000 liters. The plastic that is used is also durable and BPA-free, which means that it is free from toxic chemicals.
- Easy to use
- Well-designed bottle
- Plastic can produce a chemical taste
- Suction could have been better
This is another option that can prove to be perfect for budget-conscious buyers. It weighs only two ounces, which is why carrying it in the campsite will not be too much of a burden. The .1 micron hollow fiber filter is also impressive, allowing it to remove almost all of the impurities that are possibly present in water. There is also a pouch that is included, which will allow you to easily drink straight from it. You can also attach it directly to a hydration pack.
- Lightweight and compact
- Affordable price
- Easy to use
- Flimsy syringe
- Not long-lasting
The best camping water filter will be an excellent outdoor companion. You can drink water anytime and anywhere without being worried about your health and safety. They have a special mechanism to remove impurities in water, making sure that it is free from bacteria, protozoa, and other impurities when it lands your mouth.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is one I can recommend, it would be Lifestraw Water Filter. At its compact size, it delivers the most effective filtration, providing you with an assurance that your water will be free from impurities.