What is the Best LED Camping Lantern: A Concise Guide for Buyers
Light is one of the luxuries that we do not often get to enjoy in the campsite. This is because there is usually no electricity. With this, when preparing your camping gears, there is one thing that you should always bring – your preferred source of light. While there are many alternatives, a LED lantern is perhaps one of the most popular.
If you are searching for the best LED camping lantern, consider yourself lucky that you are reading this article! In the rest of this post, we’ll let you know how to choose the right one, and more importantly, what is the specific brand and model that you should pick.
Benefits of LED Camping Lanterns
Do you really need a LED camping lantern? Isn’t it just an additional expense? Won’t it just be an additional weight to your camping gear? Here are some of the reasons that can convince you to invest in one and make it an essential part of your gear:
- Excellent Light Output: Compared to other types of camping lanterns, one of the best things about LED is that it comes with excellent light output. Whether it is used inside or outside the tent, you can be sure that it is going to provide the illumination that you will need.
- East to Use: Another good thing about LED lantern is that it is easy to use. There is almost no effort required on your end. All that you need to do is to turn it on and it will start providing the light that is needed.
- Good for the Environment: LED lanterns do not produce exhaust.This makes it environment-friendly. This is unlike in the case of those that burn fuel.
- Safe: It is also important to note that LED does not produce heat. For this reason, it is safe to be used even when there are kids around. It is a good thing that it will never be a risk of fire.
- Long-lasting: This will depend on the quality of the LED lantern that will be chosen. Generally, however, it is believed to be 10 times longer lasting compared to lanterns that use traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Energy-Efficient: Using a LED camping lantern is beneficial because of its minimal current draw, which means that you will be able to save power. Those with excellent batteries can last for a long time without the need for replacement.
Essential Factors to Consider
If you go online and research about the best LED camping lantern, for sure, you will be confronted with an abundance of choices. However, even if you are overwhelmed, you should not choose just any product. Here are some of the most important factors that you should consider:
- Brightness: To determine how bright the lantern is, you have to pay attention to its technical specifications, specifically lumens. The latter is a measurement of the total amount of light that is produced. The higher the number, the brighter it is. If you have a large tent or if you want a powerful source of light, choose those with higher lumens. However, they are generally more expensive.
- Durability: This is important to ensure the longevity of the camping lantern. One of the most important is to have minimal moving parts, which will make it less prone to breakage. There are also some that are shock-resistant. Meaning, even if you accidentally drop the lantern, it should not shatter into pieces. If you want it to last for a long time, it should also be waterproof. If it gets wet, it must still function properly.
- Adjustability: It is also good to choose a LED lantern with adjustable settings, which will allow you to modify its functionality based on the needs of the environment. For instance, if you are outdoors, it should be powerfully bright. On the other hand, when inside the tent, it is good if you can have it dimmed for you to sleep properly.
- Battery Life: Most LED lanterns are powered by batteries. This is a good thing as it makes them portable. To differentiate the good from the bad, consider the battery life. It must take a long time before it drains and before there is a need to have it recharged. Most batteries can last from 3 to 300 hours. A light with longer battery life is obviously the better option.
- Ease of Use: Compared to other camping lanterns, LED lights are easier to use. This is especially the case against those that use match or gas. As much as possible, there should be minimal buttons, which will make operating it a lot simpler. For sure, no one wants to deal with tons of buttons as this can only complicate things.
- Portability: You should also consider the size and weight of the LED camping lantern that will be chosen. If you are a backpacker, a smaller lamp is perfect. However, traditionally, smaller lamps have minimal light power output. With this, choose one that is portable, yet it must be able to provide the amount of light that you need in the campsite.
Top Picks for the Best LED Camping Lantern
Below, we will look at five of the options that are worth considering, as well as the features that make them better than most of their competitors.
If budget is your most important concern, this is one option that you might want to consider. It comes with an affordable price, which is even made better by the fact that it is already inclusive of two pieces of LED lanterns.
The military-grade materials used is another good reason why you might want to choose this above others. With its premium construction, it can offer long-lasting functionality. It is also water-resistant, but take note that it is not waterproof.
Design-wise, you might have another good reason to pick this model. It can be collapsed, which means that it will take minimal space and weight in your camping gear. Just push it and it will not only be smaller, but the light out can also be instantly dimmed.
This model has 30 individual LED lights. Even with this, you will be happy knowing that it has minimal energy consumption, which means that your batteries will last long.
- Lightweight and compact
- Affordable price
- Durable construction
- Batteries can easily loosen
- Low level brightness
Durability is one of the reasons why this is one option that I can highly-recommend. If you want one product that can withstand the test of time, you might like this. It is made using military-grade materials, providing you with the assurance that it will be long-lasting.
It is also commendable when it comes to portability. If you are looking for a LED camping lantern that you can easily bring outdoors, take a look at this model. It is not only lightweight, but it can also be collapsed to make it space-efficient.
This light consumes minimal power, which can also explain why its output is not as bright as its leading competitors. If there is a good thing about it, this would be the fact that the batteries will last longer. If they are fully-charged, the batteries can last for half a day.
Still have hesitations in buying this product? This might change once you learn about the 10-year warranty offered by the manufacturer, which is a testament to their belief that their product will be free from defects. Otherwise, get in touch with them and they will offer the necessary assistance.
- Economical price
- Inclusive of a set of batteries
- Not water-resistant
- Minimal brightness
As you look for the best LED camping lantern, this is another option you might want to consider. One feature that we liked is the ergonomic design of the handle. It can be positioned up or can also be locked down when not in use. It has just the right size to make sure that your hand will perfectly fit when you need to carry it.
This can also be a great choice if you are looking for versatility. This is basically because there are several modes, depending on the intensity of light that is required. When it is used in the highest setting, it functions at 340 lumens. On the other hand, it uses 175 lumens for medium mode and 33 lumens for low.
Aside from the normal lighting modes, there is also a signal mode wherein the red light will keep on flashing to signal the need for help. With this, it can also function as your ultimate survival tool.
Lastly, it is impact-resistant when dropped at a maximum height of 2 meters. Tests have been done to prove this claim. With this, you can be confident that it will be long-lasting.
- Several lighting modes
- Well-designed handle
- Bad batteries
- Not bright enough
This can be an excellent pick for people who do not want to spend a lot, yet unwilling to compromise the quality and functionality of the product. This may be cheap, but it has features that make it comparable to expensive models.
One set is already inclusive of two camping lanterns of different colors. To make it even a better deal, the manufacturer also provides a guide for marshmallow roasting, as well as 10 recipes that you can easily and quickly prepare while in the campsite.
Among others, one thing that made us impressed with this lantern is the brightness. It has an excellent light output, guaranteeing illumination in the campsite. It has 146 lumens and 360-degree lighting.
Lastly, you might also like the satisfaction guarantee that is offered by the manufacturer, which is one way of making sure that you will enjoy a five-star product. If there is any defect or problem, just let the manufacturer know and they will do what it takes to make you happy.
- Affordable price
- Backed with a satisfaction-guarantee
- Color is different from what is advertised
- Looks flimsy
There is one thing that makes this different from the four other products that we have mentioned above – it is powered by solar energy. This is an eco-friendly choice since there are no toxic batteries. It is also economical as it uses the energy of the sun and stores it for its power.
You might also like this LED camping lantern because of its durability. It is made from rigid materials that can withstand wear and tear. It is also water-resistant, which is why it is perfectly alright if it gets wet. However, this should not be submerged in water as this is not waterproof.
It is also versatile. If the sun is out, you have the option to charge it by utilizing solar energy. On the other hand, if it is raining, it can also be charged through its USB port.
Lastly, the product comes with a hassle-free warranty for two years. Within such period, if you experience any problem in craftsmanship, just let the manufacturer know and they will have it replaced. Be sure, however to follow the terms and conditions to avoid the warranty from being void.
- Rugged design
- Compact and portable
- Power button can be stuck
- Takes a long time to charge
So, what is the best LED camping lantern? All of the five products mentioned above are impressive. However, if there is only one that we can recommend, it is Vont Bright 2-pack Portable Outdoor LED Camping Lantern. It comes with an affordable price, yet it has a durable body. It is lightweight and portable. It offers options for customizing the light output by simply collapsing the unit. However, it is important to take note that its light output is minimal. When used inside the tent, this should be more than enough.