Best Portable Water Heater For Camping: 5 Reviews and Buying Guide
When in the campsite, you will be devoid of many luxuries that you get to enjoy at the comfort of your own home. There is no plush bed and air conditioning unit to keep you cool during your sleep. Worse, there is no hot water in the shower! The good news is that there are certain products that will make camping enjoyable. One of the perfect examples of the latter is the best portable water heater for camping.
If you are looking for a tankless hot water heater, keep on reading the rest of this guide. We’ll let you know some of the most important factors to consider, and more importantly, we’ll tackle some of the top picks that are available in the market. We hope that this post will help you to come up with the right decision.
Benefits of Portable Water Heater
Here are some of the good reasons that can possibly convince you to buy portable water heater:
- Hot Water on Demand: Convenience is one of the best things about this type of water heater. This will allow you to access hot water even outdoors. When in the campsite, you can have a relaxing shower without having to suffer from freezing water temperature.
- Lightweight and Compact: When camping, many of us hate bringing tons of stuff, especially because they are heavy. The good things about portable water heaters is that they are sleek and lightweight. This will make it easy for you to bring them wherever you are going.
- Energy-Efficient: When you are in the campsite, you will most probably not have the luxury of electricity supply. These heaters can operate while requiring minimal energy, making it easy to enjoy hot water without requiring too much.
Types of Portable Water Heater
The easiest way to classify hot water camping shower is to determine its source of power. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
- Gas Water Heater: This is a favorite amongst many campers because it heats water quickly and efficiently. They can be powered by kerosene or propane. However, this is often costly because gas is expensive.
- Electric Water Heater: If you want a convenient and cheap supply of energy, this is the best choice that you might want to consider. Usually, however, the heat output is not impressive, especially when they are powered by generators.
- Solar Water Heater: This is often the simplest from the three types of portable hot shower. Usually, there is a large plastic and hose. You simply leave it under the heat of the sun and after a few hours, it will be hot and ready for your shower.
Choosing the Best Portable Water Heater
Below are some of the most important factors that you should consider, making it easy to differentiate the possibilities you can find in the market:
- Reviews: One of the first things you have to do is to go online and look at the opinions that are being shared by other people. Through their first-hand experiences, it will be easier to narrow down the pros and cons of the possibilities. You can also ask around from people you personally know if they have recommendations.
- Size: It is important as well to make sure that the size is right. It should be lightweight and sleek. This should never be an added bulk in your camping gear. If it is too big, you will probably complain of how heavy it is.
- Ease of Use: Choose a portable water heater that is user-friendly. It should not be complicated to use. If there are controls, see to it that they are strategically placed. Also, the manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions so that you will know how to use it.
- Power Source: Earlier, we have already outlined three of the most common sources of power that are available in the market. Harnessing the heat of the sun might be the most convenient, especially because solar heaters are easy to bring. If you opt for electricity, on the other hand, be sure that you have a generator with you.
- Performance: This will be indicative of the power that you can expect from the heater. It refers to the heating efficiency. How long does it take before the water becomes hot? How many liters of water can it heat within a specified period? These are just some of the questions that should be asked to help you narrow down the possibilities.
- Durability: This is especially true if you go camping a lot. You should choose a product that can withstand the test of time. It must not be easily prone to wear and tear, especially if it is an expensive product. Most importantly, even through the years, it must deliver optimal performance.
- Warranty: This is an important consideration if you want to have peace of mind. If the manufacturer is offering an extensive warranty, this means that they are confident with the quality of their product. If there is any problem, you can get in touch with the manufacturer and they will provide free repair or replacement. To be eligible for such, you have to satisfy the terms and conditions specified.
Top Picks for the Best Portable Water Heater for Camping
Still have no idea on what camping water heater to purchase? Below are five of the top options that you may want to consider.
The compact size of this portable heater is probably one of its best assets. It has a height of 16.5 inches, width of 11.5 inches, and depth of 5.5 inches. The weight is only about 13.8 pounds. With all of these, you can be confident that it will be easy to bring it with you in the campsite.
One thing that makes this a great option for a camping shower is that it is powered by batteries. There is no need to connect it to a supply of electricity. It is powered by two D-cell batteries, although you have to purchase them separately.
You may also find this to be an impressive option when it comes to its water output. Based on its technical specifications, one gallon of water can be generated per minute. This is more than enough for a portable shower.
In terms of versatility, you will also love this product. You will have several options when it comes to heat settings. To add, it is also a good thing that it comes with a garden hose adapter, making it a multipurpose investment.
- Powered by batteries
- You can choose a specific heat setting
- Excellent water output
- Hose is a bit flimsy
- Instructions are vague
This is another promising option for the best portable water heater for camping. It is a good thing that it is powered by batteries. To add, it can also be exceptional in terms of versatility. There is a regulator hose that will allow you to connect it to a propane tank.
If you want to be always in control, you might appreciate this product as well. This is because you can adjust the level of heat depending on how hot you want the water to be. To add, it is also a good thing that you can regulate water output direct from the showerhead.
In terms of its design, it can also prove to be an impressive choice. It can be used as a self-standing unit or you can hang it. There is a carry handle as well, which will make it easy for you to bring it in your camping trips.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it has an 8-foot water hose. This is longer than most of its competitors.
- Different settings in the shower head
- Comes with a regulator hose
- No electricity required
- Flimsy battery door
- Durability issues
One of the best things about this model is that it requires minimal water pressure. In fact, based on the specifications from the manufacturer, it needs only 2 PSI of water, which is one of the lowest within the product category.
In terms of water output, this can also be an excellent option. This has an output of 1.32 gallons per minute, which is more than enough given its size.
The package is inclusive of everything that you will need for its installation, including a regulator that will be used to connect it to a propane tank.
However, since this is a gas-powered hot shower, it is important to pay attention to various safety measures. It can start fire in the campsite if it is not operated properly, which is surely one thing that you would not want to happen during your outdoor adventure.
- Excellent water pressure
- Durable construction
- Reasonable price
- A bit bulky
- Can be prone to fire
This hot shower comes with a unique design compared to most of the competing models in the market. All that you need to do is to fill it with three gallons of water. Place it on the tripod, and start heating. You need to have a canister with gas.
There is an indicator that will warn you immediately when water is already hot. When this happens, turn of the stove andpump water to pressurize the tank. Once you are done, you can now shower with warm water. It may not be as straightforward as others, but it is effective.
The tank is made from stainless steel. There are some who might complain that it is heavy, but if you camping trip does not involve trekking, this will not be a problem. The steel construction is commendable because of its durability. It is also a good thing that it is rust-proof.
Lastly, the manufacturer claims that this can heat up water within just ten seconds. Too good to be true? You might want to give it a try and see for yourself.
- Generates hot water quickly
- Durable construction
- A bit heavy and bulky
- Can be complicated to use
The design of this portable shower is quite different from the products that have been mentioned above. To power this tank, you need to have a propane cylinder. Because gas is used to generate heat, it is important to pay attention to safety precautions.
One of the good things about this product is that it comes with a storage case. This will keep all the parts together, making it easy to bring it with you when you are camping. Also, the case can double as a water tank, which has a capacity of 4 gallons.
You might also like how you will have the option to adjust the temperature depending on the level of heat that is desired. The maximum temperature is 100 degrees.
- Heats water quickly
- Generous water output
- Comes with a portable tank
- Assembly can be tricky
- Has a lot of parts
In sum, the best portable water heater for camping is a necessary investment if you camp a lot. With the latter, you can enjoy a warm shower even if devoid of the luxurious of a fully-functional bathroom. They are portable and efficient, provided that you choose the right product.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, the one that I can personally recommend is Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater and Outdoor Shower. Although it has its own drawbacks, they are outweighed by the benefits. You can expect hot water in an instant and without the need to exert a lot of effort on your end. Indeed, this can prove to be a dependable outdoor companion.