Best Solar Camping Lanterns: A Quick Guide on What to Buy and How To Choose
Are you looking for the best solar camping lanterns ? As you search online, for sure, you will be overwhelmed with the long list of suggestions. For some, they might make a decision hastily and choose a product only based on what is the cheapest. While this can be good for your budget, in most instances, quality may suffer. If you want one that can deliver unrivalled functionality, you should know how to look beyond cost.
A solar LED lantern is one thing that you need if you often go camping. It will provide a source of lighting in a manner that is eco-friendly. To help you come up with the right choice, keep on reading and learn from our suggestions. We will not only identify the top picks in the market, but we will also have a rundown of some of the most important factors you have to consider to differentiate the possibilities.
Benefits of a Solar LED Lantern
There are many types of camping lanterns that are available in the market. Amongst the most popular are LED lanterns that are powered by batteries. There are also some that are powered by fuel. So, why would you choose one that is powered by solar energy? Here are some of the reasons that can convince you:
- Cost-Effective: One of the best things about the best solar camping lanterns is that they are cheap to operate. This is basically because you do not have to buy any battery or source of fuel. All that you have to do is to charge it using the heat of the sun. After it is purchased, there is no additional cost that you have to worry about.
- Eco-Friendly: Solar camping lanterns are also excellent for the environment, basically because they do not produce emissions. Because of this, you can be sure that it will not add up to the problems that lead to global warming. It is also worth noting that it has a renewable energy source.
- Versatile: With these lights, you will enjoy multiple functionalities as they can be used in ways more than one. While they are often used for camping, you can also use them as indoor and security lights, among others.
- Safety: Another reason why you might want to choose solar lanterns is their safety. There are no cables. This means that it will not be a risk of electrocution and fire. This can give you the confidence that you will stay safe in the campsite.
How To Choose the Best Solar Camping Lanterns
There are many brands and models claiming to be the best, but you should never decide without evaluating the possibilities. In this case, here are some of the most important factors you have to think of as you narrow down the options:
- Types of Solar Lantern: There are different types that are available in the market, each offering distinct benefits. For instance, you might be interested in an inflatable solar lantern. When it is deflated, the size is significantly reduced, which makes it consume minimal storage space in your camping gear. The same thing is true in the case of those with a collapsible design.
- Light Output: Not all solar camping lanterns are created the same. More often than not, they will differ in terms of the amount of light they generate. If it is going to be used inside the tent at night, a minimal capacity is more than enough. On the other hand, if you will use it to illuminate the campsite, you should choose one that is powerful.
- Energy Efficiency: As you differentiate the options, you should also look at how efficient they are in terms of the energy that is consumed. In the case of lights with small wattage, they will last up to 8 hours. Higher powered lights, on the other hand, will last only for a shorter period.
- Versatility: Solar-powered camping lanterns are not always exclusively charged just through the power of the sun. Even if the sun is out, there are some models that can still be used. Some models can be hand-cranked. Meanwhile, there are also some that can be attached to an adapter during the times that are raining.
- Review: One of the first things you should do is to read online reviews or ask around for recommendations from people you personally know. Many people share their experiences, which can be an excellent opportunity to weigh the pros and cons of the different options that you have.
- Price: It’s cheap, so, should you buy it? Many people may be tempted to do so, but this may not actually be a good decision. It is best to prioritize quality over price. Even if one product is expensive, if you are sure that it will deliver an excellent investment, it will be worth your money.
Reviews of the Best Solar Camping Lanterns
Still finding it hard to decide which one will make a great choice? In this section, we will give you a glimpse of five of the top picks in the market, as well as some of the features that you might find impressive.
This is one option that you might appreciate if you are looking for convenience. Since it is an inflatable solar lantern, this means that you can easily bring it with you on your trips. When it is deflated, it is almost flat. This means that it won’t add a significant weight to your camping gear.
Charging this light might take some time. Based on the information from the manufacturer, it might take up to 7 hours before the battery is full. The good thing, however, is that it can provide light that is good for 12 hours.
This can also be a good choice when it comes to versatility as there are three light modes. It can be used for one-second flash, bright, and super bright. The latter, however, can consume a lot of your battery life, so avoid using it unless necessary.
Another feature that I loved is the battery indicator, which I found to be convenient. You will know exactly how much battery is left. You will not be surprised if the light just comes out all of a sudden. This provides an immediate notification if there is a need for the solar lantern to be recharged.
- Extremely portable
- Has a charge indicator
- Handle for hanging is small
- Takes a while to recharge
This is one option that you may want to consider when looking for a solar LED lantern. While there are many things that you can possibly find impressive about this product, one of the best is its portability. It is compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry in your camping trips.
I personally loved the versatility of this model when it comes to charging. While you have the option to harness the energy of the sun, on days that are not too bright, you can still use this lantern. This is because it can be charged directly via a USB port.
One more thing that I liked about this is how it comes with two brightness settings. You can choose low brightness when it is used as a nightlight inside the tent. On the other hand, when it is used outside, choose the high setting for maximum brightness.
When this solar lantern is fully charged, it can provide power that will last for up to 8 hours, which is better than most of its competitors. To make it last longer, I suggest that you limit its use to the low power setting. Always make sure that the battery is full before you head to the campsite.
- Two brightness settings
- Dual charging capability
- Plastic can be prone to melting
- Power button looks flimsy
This is one product that you might want to look at if you are a budget-conscious buyer. With its economical price, there is no excuse to not have one. Despite being affordable, however, you can expect decent quality from this product.
If there is one thing that can separate this from most of the options, it would be the fact that it has waterproof construction. Even if it is used outside and it gets wet in the rain, there is no need to worry. It would still function exactly as expected.
This can also be a great choice because of versatility. You will have three options when it comes to its lighting modes. You can choose from strobe, high, and low, depending on what a specific situation requires. It has 100 lumens, which means that you can expect it to deliver optimal brightness in different environments.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering 100% guarantee, which can cast all your doubts about this product. If you are unhappy in any way, get in touch with the manufacturer and they will offer an unconditional refund.
- Compact and lightweight
- Looks flimsy
- Plastic can melt
If budget is your concern, this is one product you might want to include in your list. While it is cheap, it has a decent quality.
One thing that I personally find to be impressive is how you can charge it in two days. You can harness the power of the sun during bright days. When it is raining or cloudy, on the other hand, it is a good thing that it can also be charged via its USB port.
What makes it even better is that you can use it as a power bank. For instance, if your phone runs out of battery, you can use this solar lantern as the source of power for charging your device. This means that it can be your supply of power when on the go!
Meanwhile, you might also love the three lighting modes, which will allow you to use it in different environments. You can choose from high, low, and SOS modes.
- Multiple lighting modes
- Can be used as a power bank
- Versatile charging option
- Not durable
- Battery does not maintain its charge
The versatility of this product is one thing that you might find captivating. This is not only a solar lantern that you can hang inside or outside the tent. The handle can also be configured to make it function like a hand-held flashlight.
More so, it is also worth noting that it can be charged in two ways. When it is sunny, you can use the energy of the sun to charge the battery. On the other hand, when it is cloudy, you will love the fact that it also offers an option for USB charging.
When it comes to the battery, there are some people who complained that the charging time is quite long. Nonetheless, this should not be too much of a problem since once it is already fully charged, you can use the lantern for up to 12 hours.
The manufacturer also offers a money-back guarantee for 30 days. If you are not satisfied with how it works, as long as it is within one month after a purchase, the manufacturer will issue a refund.
- Dual charging mode
- Long-lasting power
- A bit bulky
- Takes a while to be recharged
Read more : Best LED Camping Lantern
In sum, from the products mentioned above, if there is one that I can recommend, it would be MPOWERD Luci Original – Inflatable Solar Lanterns. The latter comes with ultra-bright lights that are perfect for all campsite conditions. Its battery is long-lasting, although charging it can take quite a while. Best of all, it has an innovative design. When it is deflated, its thickness is less than an inch, which will make it easy to bring with you wherever you are camping.