Best Tent for Motorcycle Camping: Top Choices for a Temporary Shelter
Motorcycle camping is an exciting outdoor activity, especially when you do it with someone you love or with your friends. To make it a memorable experience, however, you need to be prepared. This means that you should research about the right destination. Also, you need to have the essential gears. With this, one that you need is the best tent for motorcycle camping. It will provide you with a temporary shelter and protection.
While there are many choices, however, you should not choose just any product. If you are clueless about what to pick, this post has got you covered. You will know some of the most important factors to consider, as well as some of the best products that are currently available in the market.
Types of Tents
The following are some of the most common types of tents that are used specifically for motorcycle camping:
- Family Tents: It usually has a dome shape and known for having a generous room. Most can fit up to six people comfortably. They are, however, often bulky and heavy, which is why most motorcycle campers tend to shy away from it.
- Expedition Tents: They are relatively new, but slowly growing in terms of their popularity. This tent is designed with a sleeping section and another section as a vestibule. This is where you can keep your gear and park your motorcycle, providing protection from the weather.
- Backpacker Tents: If you are into portability, this is the best choice for you. These lightweight tents will require minimal storage space, making it perfect for motorcycle camping. Most models, however, are made only for one to two people.
Choosing the Best Tent for Motorcycle Camping
To find a product that can provide the best bang for the buck, the following are some of the most important factors that you must consider:
- Ease of Use: One of the most important is for the tent to be user-friendly. This means that you must be able to accomplish its set-up in a snap. No one, after all, will be interested in dealing with complications. Some tents have instructions that are printed on the fabric, making it easier to have it installed. It will be good to setup tent in the backyard first so that you can figure out how to do it when in the campsite.
- Weight: Choose a tent that is as lightweight as possible. This is the reason why most people opt for a tent with smaller sleeping capacity. The tent must not add significant weight in your motorcycle.
- Materials: Just like in the case of traditional camping tents, make sure that it is made from durable materials, allowing it to withstand long-term use. It is good as well if it can resist external conditions that could speed up wear and tear.
- Comfort : A lot of people despise motorcycle camping because of the belief that it is uncomfortable. The right tent, however, can make a huge difference. With this, choose a tent that can provide excellent ventilation so that you can sleep comfortably.
Top Picks for the Best Tent for Motorcycle Camping
If you still have no idea what to choose, in this section, we will identify five of the best options that you might possibly find interesting:
Coleman is a company that has gained global reputation for their outdoor products. With this, the brand name itself can already give you a good reason to consider choosing this product above all others.
One of the best features of this tent is the full coverage hooded rainfly, which can provide an added layer of protection in environments with harsh weather. You can sleep comfortably and be assured that your gear will not be wet.
The all-mesh body is also a notable feature. Even if you are camping during the summer months, there is no need to worry as you can expect excellent ventilation.
Lastly, we also loved how there is a small storage vestibule. It will be good enough for keeping your valuables, and hence, there is no need to leave it in your motorcycle.
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to pack
- Durable construction
- Low outer door
- No windows
When it comes to the best tent for motorcycle camping, one of the most important is to pick one that is lightweight. This model should be included in your list as it is excellent when it comes to portability. Even the frames are made with minimal weight so that it won’t be a significant addition in your gears.
The zippered window is also a good feature. It can be excellent for privacy. During the hotter months, you can open it to have improved ventilation. When camping during the colder season, on the other hand, you can have it zipped to stay warm inside the tent.
The gear loft that is included is also a good thing, which will provide you with storage space, making it easy as well to stay organized inside the tent.
- Setup is a breeze
- Has a zippered window
- Fiberglass frame are lightweight
- Rainfly seam could be better
- Stakes can be short
Motorcycle camping does not need to be boring. This is exactly what you can expect with this stylish tent. More than its aesthetics, it also has generous space for a single camper. It is rated as a 2-person tent, but we advise that you leave room for your gear so that you won’t have to leave it in your motorcycle.
One thing that makes this impressive is the bathtub construction of the floor. This is one of its smart design features as it can make sure that water will not get inside the tent, making you stay dry.
Lastly, it also has clip-pole attachment. The latter is one thing that helps to significantly reduce its weight while also making it more breathable.
- Comes with high-quality stakes
- Easy to set-up
- Vestibule is small
- Possible condensation
If you want to experience motorcycle camping and if you plan to go on a solo trip, this is one option that you might want to consider. This can fit only a single person, which is also the reason why it is portable.
Setting up the tent will not require too much of an effort, even if it is your first time to do so. One thing that makes this possible is the one-pole construction. The latter is an innovative feature that simplifies the assembly of the tent.
Lastly, the materials used are also commendable. The floor, for instance, has a bathtub construction and is made from 150D Oxford canvas for extreme protection from getting wet.
- Durable construction
- One-pole tent
- Space can be too small
- Stakes can be longer
Motorcycle camping can be fun, but can also be filled with uncertainties. For instance, you do not know when it will rain. With this tent, you can have peace of mind because of its waterproof construction. However, if there is strong wind, this may not be the best.
One of the features that you will like about this tent is the antitheft pocket, which can be good for keeping your valuables, such as phone and wallet.
When it comes to the assembly of the tent, there is nothing to be worried about. There are 4 ropes and 8 steel pegs, making it easy to set up.
- Lightweight and easy to setup
- Comes with a hook for lantern
- Not ideal for harsh weather
- Small interior space
Tips for a Memorable Camping Experience
It is not enough that you have the right tent. Aside from investing in the right product for your temporary shelter, you should also keep these things in mind:
- Be prepared for the unexpected. You will most probably be surprised and frustrated knowing that it is more difficult than what you have initially thought. The weather, for instance, can be unpredictable. Always pack in such a way that you won’t be surprised.
- You should also pay attention to proper packing. You should have a waterproof bag or saddle in your motorcycle to protect your gear. You should also pack lightly, but make sure that you have everything that you will need.
- Before you head to the campsite, do not forget to check the weather. This will help you to be prepared and to anticipate possible hazards.
- Stay safe. Cooking in the campsite can be a significant risk. With this, be sure to be attentive when you are cooking, especially when you are using gas.
With the best tent for motorcycle camping, you can have temporary shelter when you are outdoors. Which one should you choose? If you will ask for my opinion, I would say that the Coleman Hooligan Tent will be an excellent choice. It is made by a trusted brand, which can provide you with peace of mind. It is lightweight and durable, making it a great companion for your motorcycle adventures.