Best tent heater for camping: Have a warm 2017 camping experience
Its winter time, but that should not stop you from camping and enjoying the outdoors. The best tent heater for camping will surely keep you warm and ensure that you enjoy your camping experience. It can be quite frustrating when it gets dark and the colder weather stars creeping in, but with a heater, you will have a good night’s sleep and be full of energy for the next day.
We have set out to look for the best camping heaters and see just how effective they are when it gets cold. After enduring a few cold and hot evenings, we have created this list of the top camping heaters that will ensure that you stay warm this winter season.
But before we check out the top tent heaters, you should know how to look for the top heaters. This can be a costly process, but by following these guidelines, you should easily be able to track down the most efficient tent heater for the winter camping experiences.
We would also like to let you know that there are two different outdoor heater types. These are the propane and electrical heaters. You will be able to choose the most efficient heater type for your needs when you understand the difference.
- Propane: Propane heaters are a little more expensive and therefore, less people like to choose them, but they are much safer to the environment and they also will not dry out the air as much as the electrical heater.
- Electrical: The electrical heater is much cheaper and therefore, more common a choice. But the heater does require you to invest some extra cash in leads and to ensure that the camping spot does have accommodation for electrical items. You could also use a generator to power these heaters
Read more : How to Heat a Tent While Camping
Key features to look for in tent heaters:
You’d think that it is easy to choose the best mosquito head net and that is definitely true, but the cheapest one is not always the most effective one and there are various things that you need to look for to ensure that you get the best one. Some people can even create their own mosquito nets at home, but scientists are much more advanced and offer more benefits to commercially produced mosquito head nets
- Size: The size cannot be overlooked when it comes to camping and you will need something that is easy to carry around. The size also plays a major role in transporting the item and maximizing your storage space in the car to carry along everything that you need. We recommend looking for the perfect size that will warm up your tent.
- Type: We have already mentioned the difference between the propane and electrical heaters, but you need to make that choice and consider whether the camping area does allow for electrical equipment or not. The best propane heaters are expensive, but they are much more functional.
- Thermal output: This can be confusing to some, but the thermal output will relate to the amount of energy that can be exerted by the heater and this will in return tell you how warm the heater can possibly go. The thermal output needs to be considered in conjunction with the camping location.
- Gas cylinder or electrical consumption: While both of these will add extra costs to the camping experience, it is important to know how much power or gas will be expended and how many bottles of gas or units of electricity, you will need.
By understanding these 4 features, you should be able to make a much better choice for your next tent heater. The kerosene heater has become obsolete in recent years and while you might still find one, they are generally more expensive in terms of upkeep and maintenance.
Reviews of Best tent heater
With that being said, let’s look at the top camping tent heater to get you through the winter and still give you a great experience:
The Mr Heater F232000 MHX9BX really puts comfort at the top of its priorities and while the heater is quite expensive, it will exert between 4000 and 9000 BTU in 225 square inches. This would be enough to keep the entire family warm in the larger tents and the propane gas it uses, will also ensure that the air stays clean.
The heater is also quite small and not that heavy. This makes the heater easier to transport and carry around and with the gas cylinders full, you should have plenty of multifunctional use. The heater can even be used indoors at home.
Furthermore, the heater also has built-in sensors that will detect the oxygen levels in the tent and it will automatically shut off. The heater will also immediately shut off when it is tipped or knocked over, thus making it great for use by children.
We highly recommend this heater to families that like to camp a lot and enjoy the outdoor areas. The heater will also be great for indoor use in the winter and will be a great backup for the thermostat.
- Perfectly portable and easy to use
- Auto shut off to prevent hazards
- Uses propane gas in order to keep the air clean and healthy.
- The heater is unfortunately very expensive
While this heater is a little less expensive and smaller than its bigger brother, it still features most of the same key features of the more expensive bigger version. The heater exerts 3800 BTU in a 95 square inch room and should still be able to keep you warm in your smaller tent.
The heater is also really small and portable, thus making it much easier to carry around and it will even be able to fit into a few of the camping backpacks available on the market. This makes the heater great for hiking as well and we definitely recommend this for outdoor enthusiasts.
The heater also uses propane gas, but you will be able to carry along a few of the 1 pound cylinders and the built-in sensor will also let the heater shut down once it detects lower levels of oxygen. The heater will also automatically shut down once it is tipped or knocked over, thus again making Mr Heater one of the top brands for children to use.
- Great for children
- Perfect for multifunctional use
- More affordable than the bigger heater
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Might not be effective in extremely cold evenings outdoors
While an electrical heater will require you to have an added power cable and access to power, this heater will really come in handy when you have access to those. The heater features different heat setting and they will be great for different temperatures. For those cold winter nights, the 1500 watt setting will ensure that an average two man tents is adequately kept warm and the 750 watt setting should be great for sustaining the heat without drying out too much air.
The heater features an additional benefit of a cooling fan for those hot summer days and this should give you real value for your money and perfect multi-functionality. Furthermore, the heater is small and portable and any table will do as the perfect stand, thus giving you versatility.
The only downside to this affordable heater is that it should not be stored in wet or damp areas for prolonged periods of time as the element could sustain rust, but for a short camping trip, the heater is easy and quick to use for the whole family
- Really affordable
- Easy to set up and transport
- Extremely versatile
- Added cooling fan for summer conditions
- Lack of protection could cause the elements to gather rust and corrode in wet and damp environments
Are you looking for something much larger that will heat up the entire camping area, well, the Dyna-Glo TT15CDGP will be perfect for you. The heater is available in 3 different sizes: ranging from 15000BTU all the way to 40000BTU. This heater is quite large and it has the capacity of warming up the entire area.
The heater can be left outside and it will not rust as the entire body of the heater has been specially designed to be resistant to rust. This heater will not easily fall, but should it fall, the heater will be protected by a durable steel safety grill and the heater will also shut down immediately.
The shutdown is also present when it comes to extinguishing the flame and this does make the heater great for camping. The only downside is the size and the amount of gas that is used, but when you are multiple people, this can be divided and the price of the heater makes it really affordable for the average camping family.
We highly recommend this heater for larger camping families and also for outdoor use at home. This heater can also be great for keeping the guests warm in your backyard and having everyone stay longer in the winter.
- Extremely strong
- Great safety features
- Really affordable
- Perfect for multiple camping families of 10 or more
- Heavy to carry
- Does use a lot of gas
While this heater is a little more expensive than there other heaters, it is also available in the smaller 15000BTU size for smaller areas. This heater does really cover a large 1350 square feet area and will not only keep your tent warm, but possibly all of the tents in the camping area. The heater is really affordable for its features and you will be able to carry it around easily with the added carry handle.
The heater also features multiple shut off features when in danger to help eliminate hazards and the nozzle will give you great multifunctional use and allow you to turn the heater in whichever way you feel is necessary.
We highly recommend this heater for multiple camping families and even for bigger groups. The heater does require 20 pound gas cylinder, but this could keep you warm for multiple nights, thus making sure you get great value for your money.
- Great for larger families
- Easy to carry around
- Multiple shut off alerts
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor heating
- Requires a heavy cylinder
- The heater is quite expensive
We would like to thank you for reading this article and we hope that you now understand the difference between tent heaters. Depending on your family size, the choice should also be simple and we definitely recommend the heaters from the MR. Heater brand for their quality and multi-functionality.
We would also like to encourage you to tell us your thoughts on the electrical or propane heater and why you like your choice.