Your Ultimate Guide in Choosing the Best Wood Burning Camp Stoves
Cooking is one of the most important things that you should learn to do in the campsite. It is not as easy as it seems, especially because you will not enjoy the luxury of a fully-equipped kitchen. Nonetheless, with the best wood burning camp stoves, things can be a lot easier. It will be more convenient to prepare delicious meals while enjoying the outdoors.
With a wood burning backpacking stove, you will be able to cook almost anywhere. Nonetheless, while it can deliver an abundance of benefits, this will depend on the specific brand and model that you will choose. With this, you should exert effort to differentiate the possibilities in the market. In the rest of this guide, we will help you make a well-informed choice. Keep on reading and know more about some of the top picks in the market.
Benefits of Using Wood Burning Stoves
While there are many other types of stoves that you can use in the campsite, those that burn wood are preferred by many because of the following reasons:
- Reduces Consumption of Fossil Fuel: In a way, this stove is good for the environment. Those that use fossil fuels can be bad for the environment, especially because of the way they are produced.
- Lightweight: Another good thing about the use of wood burning camping stove is that they are lighter compared to other portable stoves. This is basically because there is no attached tank that is supposed to contain fuel.
- Provide Warmth: The wood burning camp stoves are also effective for providing heat in the campsite, especially inside the tent. However, it is important to observe the necessary safety measures to make sure that it won’t start a blazing fire.
- Can Double as a Camp Fire: The use of this stove is also good because it can be multipurpose. It can serve as a mini camp fire, just like a bonfire. It can be used not only for cooking, but also for keeping away harmful animals and for providing illumination in the campsite.
How to Choose Wood Burning Camp Stove
The multiplicity of the options available in the market can make you overwhelmed. This, however, does not mean that you can choose just any product. Below are some of the most important things that can help you to differentiate the possibilities:
- Reviews: Start your search by reading reviews of other people. Many people share their insights online about a product they have personally tried in the past. Through their actual experiences, it will be easier for you to weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities.
- Weight: If you are looking for a wood burning stove for hiking, it is important that it is as lightweight as possible, which means that you can easily bring it with you. This will make hiking more enjoyable and you will never have to complain of how it is being an additional weight to your backpacking gear.
- Size: Basically, this refers to how small or big is the stove that will be chosen. This is especially important if it is used for cooking. If you intend to cook for a large group, obviously, a larger stove is also needed. The problem with the latter, however, is that it can be bulkier and heavier. For one to three people, a single burner stove will be enough. On the other hand, for more campers, you might want to opt for a two-burner stove.
- Durability: This stove should be seen as an investment. Therefore, do not waste your money by choosing a product that won’t last a long time. Look at the materials used and see to it that it will remain functional even after several years.
- Stability: Among the design features of the stove, one of the most important is the feature that will make it stable, especially if you are using it on an uneven ground. It should have a wide base, which will allow it to stand firm on the ground even if you are using larger pots when cooking. Stability also makes sure that it will not easily knock down and will not be a risk of fire.
Safety Tips for Using Wood Burning Stoves
The following are some of the most important things that will help to ensure safety in the campsite with the use of your wood burning stove:
- Check for the condition of the stove before your trip. See to it that it is unbroken and clean to make it less prone to risks.
- Always make sure to position the stove on a flat surface. If it trips, it can easily start a fire.
- Position your stove away from the wind. This will not only make it easier to start a fire but will also make sure that fire will be confined in the stove and will not spread anywhere else.
- Keep a watchful eye. Always pay attention to your stove so that you can easily respond to possible problems.
Top Picks for the Best Wood Burning Camp Stoves
If you are still clueless about which camp stove is the best, below is a look at five of the best products you might want to consider.
This is one top pick you may not want to miss in searching for the best wood burning camp stoves. This is made by one of the most trusted brands in the market, which can make you confident about its quality.
The patented design of this stove is one thing that you can possibly find to be impressive. It has a double wall that intensifies the fire created by the stove while also creating lesser smoke compared to competing models. This also improves the burning efficiency of the wood that is used.
In terms of its construction, this can also prove to be durable while being lightweight at the same time. It is made from nichrome wire and stainless steel. It is also designed in such a way that you can stash it in your bag without the bulk.
Still need reasons to be convinced to choose this stove? Well, it has been praised in many magazines and is also multi-awarded. In fact, Backpacker Magazine declared it as the top choice within the product category. Matt Graham, a survivalist from Discovery Channel, also recognized this product.
- Durable construction
- Easy to use
- Space-saving design
- A bit expensive
- Accumulates soot
If you are looking for a wood burning camp stove that is affordable, this is one you might want to include in your list. The economical price makes it a favorite for many people. Despite being cheap, you can expect that it will deliver decent quality and functionality.
To add, you might also be impressed with how easy it is to use. It has a variety of user-friendly features, making sure that it is devoid of complications. Even at the campsite, you will be able to enjoy delicious meals in a snap.
The space-saving design of the stove is also a good thing. Because it is compact, you can easily bring it on your trips. It won’t add a significant weight to your camping gear. It is foldable and it also comes with its own carrying bag.
Design-wise, you can say that this is exceptional. One thing that I personally loved is the strategic positioning of the air vents. They are in places where they can attract air to ignite the fire, yet the flame will be protected. Because air flow is directed to where it is needed, you can be confident that the flame will stay up as long as it is required.
- Affordable price
- Compact and lightweight
- Can be unstable
- Your cookware will easily get sooty
At first, you might ditch the idea of buying this product because it comes with an expensive price. However, when you take a look at the features of this product, you will easily know why it comes with a steep price.
Among others, one of the things that I liked about this product is its multiple functionality. You can use it for boiling water and for basic cooking tasks. The best thing is that it can also charge your gadgets when electricity is not available in the campsite.
The stove comes with an internal battery pack, which is one thing that makes it different from most of the competing models. This makes it easy to power the fan and to ignite the fire, making sure that it will be easy to start the flame.
The collapsible legs of the stove is also a good feature. With the latter, you can be more assured that it will remain stable on the ground and will lessen fire hazards. When packed, the legs can be folded, making it space-efficient.
- Can charge electronic devices
- Burns wood quickly
- Comes with an internal starter
- A bit heavy
- Expensive price
One of the things that you might find impressive in the product is its versatility, which will allow you to use multiple fuel sources. You can opt for dry twigs or wood if they are available. If not, you can also use solidified alcohol.
It can also be excellent when we talk about durability. While it comes with an economical price, you might be surprised knowing that it is long-lasting. The latter can be attributed to the use of hardened stainless steel, which is known for its ability to withstand the test of time.
At the bottom part of the stove, there are square vents. This is a good design feature as it allows proper air circulation. This will help to ignite the fire quicker, lessening the effort that will be required on your end.
To carry it easily, it has its own mesh bag. The problem with the bag, however, is that it can be easily prone to damages because of the sharp edges of the pan holder on the top of the stove.
- Larger than average interior
- Easy to use
- Not collapsible
- Pan holder can damage the mesh bag
This is another option you might want to include in your list of the best wood burning camp stoves. It may not be as lightweight and portable as other stoves, but it can offer exceptional functionality, which is why the weight should not be an issue at all.
When it comes to design, one thing that makes this impressive is the well-placed vent holes that will encourage sufficient air circulation. This will help to sustain the fire to make sure that the flame will provide the heat that is needed.
It is also exceptional in terms of durability. This is because it is made from premium stainless steel. The problem with the latter, however, is that it is heavy compared to other materials.
If you still have hesitations in buying this product, one thing that can change this is the fact that the manufacturer is offering a satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with the product, let the manufacturer know and they will extend an unconditional refund.
- Has a money-back guarantee
- A bit heavy
How to Build your own Wood Burning Camp Stove
Should you not feel that any of these stoves are a fit for you and your family, or you want to avoid the cost of a wood burning camp stove, consider building your own stove. This is not a terribly difficult project, and I will provide detailed instructions on how to build a lightweight, wood burning camping stove that is suitable for backpacking.
What you will need:
- The “outer” can: one 22oz. can
- The “inner” can: one 11-12 oz. can
- Pot stand: one standard tuna can
- You will also want to have the following tools handy:
- Tin snips
- Round file
First, take the larger of the two cans, which will be the “outer” can. What was considered the top of this large can will be considered the bottom of the stove. You will want to drill two rows of holes into the bottom portion of the can offset with each other as depicted below in figure 1. This holes should be drilled all the way around the can. The holes should be 3/8”.
In the top of the stove (formerly the bottom of the can), you will cut out the circumference of the smaller can. Using you tin snips, you will want to create a hole where the small can is able to nest inside the larger can.
You will then take the smaller can. The flat bottom of the smaller can should have ¼” holes throughout. All around the top of the can you will want to drill quarter inch holes as well in the same manner as shown in figure 1.
Try to nest the smaller can in the hole that was cut out of the large can. Should you not be able to get the smaller can into the larger can, you will want to use your tin snips to increase the size of the hole in the large can. Keep working with your tin snips until you are able to get the small can into the large can. It is recommended that you enlarge the hole a little at a time, so as to not make the hole too large. You are looking for there to be a nice, tight seal between the two cans.
Once the smaller can is nesting (placed inside) in the larger can, you will move on to the tuna can. The tuna can will be the pot stand of your stove. You will drill two rows of holes all around the tuna can as show in figure 2.
Using your tin snips, you will cut the portion between the top hole and the bottom hole creating a space for air flow
Connect the top and bottom rows around the entire tuna can
With too many options available for the best wood burning camp stoves, making the right choice will not be an easy task. You have to go through the technical details and opinions of other people. To make things simpler, based on the discussions above, I suggest that you choose Solo Stove Light – Compact Wood Burning Backpacking Stove. It is made by one of the most reliable brands in the market and has premium construction. It is a multi-awarded stove, which should be more than enough to make you confident about its quality. The double wall design, a patented technology, is another feature that makes this an excellent choice.