Motorcycle Camping Gear: The Essential Items That You Should Bring
Preparing for your first motorcycle camping trip? For sure, you are all excited to spend time outdoors. However, this should not be an excuse for you to come unprepared.
To make the most out of your motorcycle camping experience, it is important to make sure that you will have the gears that are needed. Some of them may be costly, but they can be excellent investments, especially if you love the outdoors, or camping in particular.
In the rest of this post, I will take a quick look at some of the essential gears that you should bring. From your comfort to your safety, these things can prove to be beneficial in more ways than one.
This is one of the most important gears that you should have, which will make it possible to stay organized and to provide a space wherein you can keep all other gears that you must bring with you.
They are available in all shapes and sizes. They can be classified into two – hard and soft luggage.
Hard Motorcycle Camping Luggage
Most of the serious riders and campers will probably have this kind of luggage. It can be heavy and expensive, but it is an excellent choice as it is tough and will be able to provide the protection that is needed by your gears, especially those that are fragile.
If you want a hard luggage for motorcycle camping, one of the best would be aluminum cases. Although it tends to be bulky, one of the good things about aluminum cases is that they tend to be lightweight.
There are also some options for hard luggage made from plastic. They tend to be lightweight and cheaper, but the problem is that they can be brittle, which can pose serious issues when it comes to their durability.
Soft Motorcycle Camping Luggage
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, on the other hand, you might want to consider soft luggage. They can be made from different materials, each with its own distinct advantages and drawbacks.
Leather luggage is one of the most popular option, which is known not only for being rugged, but also for its aesthetically-pleasing appearance. If you have a vintage cruiser, this is the right choice for the luggage as this is going to perfectly complement the appearance of your motorbike.
If you find leather to be pricey, you can consider textile luggage. Aside from being affordable, it is also popular because there are options that are waterproof, providing your things with protection from the rain.
Tents are important because they will provide the temporary shelter that you will need when you are in the campsite. Without the luxury of a bedroom, the tent is going to provide a safe and comfortable place for you to sleep.
When looking for a tent, one of the most important considerations would be the size. Even if you are on your own, it would be best to have a two-person tent so that you will have more than enough space to move around, as well as for your gears.
The following are some of the most common types of tents that you might want to take into consideration:
- Family Tents: This is an excellent choice if you are going to camp out as a family or as a group. There is more than enough room for everyone and for all your gears. Some are large enough that they can even be separated into two rooms, perfect if you are riding as a big group.
- Expedition Tents: They are the newest type of tents to be introduced in the market and designed for the adventurers. The tent is divided into several sections, including a portion for you, your gear, and even a covered area to protect your motorcycle.
- Backpacker Tents: This is highly-recommended if you are looking for simplicity and affordability. They are very basic, can be assembled in a snap, and more importantly, compact.
If you are thinking of buying a new tent, it is also important to consider its weather protection. If possible, opt for an all-season tent, which will provide the protection that you need from inclement weather conditions.
You should also pay attention to the material that is used in the camping tent. See to it that it is made from durable fabric that will be able to withstand the test of time.
For bigger tents, there are models that even come with an outdoor seating area.
Lastly, pick a tent that will be able to promote your highest level of comfort. Having mesh windows or roof will be a good choice if you want sufficient air circulation.
There are many people who dread the idea of motorcycle camping because of the fear that they will not be able to sleep properly. While the latter can indeed happen, such will not be the case if you invest in the right gears that will help you to have a good sleep, which will include those that we will discuss in this section.
With this, you will be wrapped in a bag that can provide cushioning and comfort in the campsite. As you try to differentiate the options that are available in the market, the following are some of the most important considerations that you should keep in mind:
- Material: The material of choice is important because it will be indicative of your comfort and will affect the quality of your sleep. The following are the common materials that are used in sleeping bags:
- Down: Especially if you choose goose down, this will be an excellent choice if you are looking for insulation. Aside from being soft, it can effectively keep you warm in the campsite.
- Synthetic: If you are in a hot or humid area, on the other hand, this is an excellent material. It is also washable, making it easy to maintain.
- Shape: You can choose from rectangular, barrel-shaped, and mummy sleeping bags, among others.
- Temperature Rating: This is one of the technical specifications that should be given emphasis as you try to narrow down the possibilities. If it states that the product is a 20-degree bag, this means that you will remain comfortable unless the temperature is lower than what has been specified.
For motorcycle camping, there are many people who opt for an air mattress because it is more convenient to bring. Once it is deflated, you can have it folded, which means that it is going to consume minimal space in the luggage.
If you ae searching for the best air mattress, the following are some of the most important things to consider:
- Pumping Mechanism: There are different ways by which it will be possible to pump air into the mattress:
- Hand-Pump: This means that you will need to exert more effort as the pump needs to be operated by hand.
- Electric Pump: Although a bit expensive, this is the best option as this will take out any hassle on your end.
- Durability: Take a look at the materials that are used and make sure that it is going to last long. It is good to pick one that comes with a puncture-resistant surface.
- Thickness: When it comes to motorcycle camping, it would be best to choose an air mattress that comes with a low profile, which is more compact.
This is the simplest option that can be considered when it comes to sleeping gear for motorcycle camping. They can be easily rolled and folded, depending on the model that will be chosen.
The problem with sleeping bag, however, is that most of them are not able to provide optimal comfort when you are sleeping on a hard surface. It would be best to choose a sleeping pad that is thick, although this can make it bulky.
For sure, you would not want to go hungry when you are camping. With this, it would be best if you will invest in the right cooking equipment that will allow you to prepare basic food in the absence of having a fully-equipped kitchen.
While you can opt to bring meals that are prepared in advance, it is still better to cook your food right here and then.
Among others, one of the best cooking gears that you might want to bring with you is a portable stove. It is small enough to fit in your luggage and powered by gas that usually comes in the form of a canister.
Do not also forget to bring pots and pans, among others that you will need for cooking. Limit the size and quantity based on what can realistically fit in your luggage.
Whether you plan to bring foods that are ready to eat or you intend to cook in the campsite, it is important to have containers that will protect the food from bears and other animals in the wild. With this, the following are some of the choices that you might want to take into consideration:
- Cooler: This is bulky, which makes it not recommended for motorcycle camping. However, it is a good choice if you want to keep food and drinks cold, even without a fridge.
- Bear Canisters: This is a heavy-duty food container designed with a lid that will be impossible for bears to open.
- Collapsible Food Containers: This is a good choice because of its portability. When it is not used, it can be flattened.
- Air-tight containers: They are the most basic from the food containers that you can bring when camping. They can keep food fresh by preventing the possibility to air penetration.
Using food containers is important because it will make sure that the food will not smell. If there is a strong smell, it can be easily traced by the animals in the campsite.
This is one thing that is important, but often ignored by many people. This will provide the illumination that you need at night, which will also be vital for safety.
There are many people who are already contented with a flashlight since it is portable. However, while it is handy, such may not be enough.
You might also want to consider investing in a high-quality camping lantern. You can hang it inside the tent, leave it on the ground, or place it outside if you need light. When looking for a camping lantern, the following are some of the most important considerations that should be given emphasis:
- Lumens: This is a technical specification that will be indicative of the light output. The higher the lumen is, the brighter the lamp will be.
- Source of Power: In most instances, camping lamps are powered by batteries. With this, choose batteries that will last for a longer span of time.
- Size: As much as possible, choose a compact lamp that can easily fit in your luggage. Despite the small size, see to it that it is bright enough.
First Aid Kits
Accidents can happen, even in the campsite. They cannot be avoided, but you can be prepared by having a first aid kit that will allow you to immediately respond to any medical emergency, such as burns and snake bites.
Before you leave home, make sure that your first aid kit is complete with all the items that you will need, which can include medications, ointments, gauzes, bandages, scissors, eye drops, and cotton swabs, among others.
It is not enough that you have a first aid kit with you. It is important to also have training so that you will know the fundamentals when it comes to responding to emergencies.
By now, I hope that you are already aware of the different motorcycle camping gears that you should bring with you. When you have the items that have been mentioned above, you will have a hassle-free camping experience and you will never have to worry of discomfort.