Best Camping Coffee Maker: An Easy Way to Prepare your Caffeine Fix
There is perhaps no better way to start your day than having a cup of coffee early in the morning. Anytime of the day, a caffeine fix will also be an effective way to perk you up. It is true even in the campsite. With this, if you want things to be a lot easier, you should invest in the best camping coffee maker.
Looking for portable coffee maker that you can use in the campsite, however, is not an easy task. You will be confronted with an abundance of options, but this should not be an excuse for you to choose just any product. With this, keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll provide you with valuable insights that will be instrumental in making the right decision.
Types of Camping Coffee Maker
The first thing that you have to do is to decide on what type of coffee maker for camping is best for your needs and preferences. In this case, the following are some of the options that you will be confronted with:
- French Press: You will fill the carafe with hot water and it will steep the grinds. It will be pushed to extract the flavor of coffee, leaving the grinds on the top. If you want it to be stronger, let it steep longer.
- Aero Press: Compared to French Press, you need to exert more effort. You need to push the plunger. Air pressure is used for the extraction of flavor from the grinds, which results to a stronger coffee, similar to espresso.
- Percolator: This is simply a pot that cycles boiling water through the coffee grinds until it reaches the strength of the coffee that is desired. The temperature is usually higher compared to other methods, making it yield a robust coffee.
- Drip: Many people will probably look down at this type, especially the connoisseurs. It usually results into weak-tasting caffeine fix, which is why many people tend to stay away from this.
Choosing the Best Camping Coffee Maker
To make it easier for you to reach the right decision, the following are some of the most important things that you should take into consideration:
- Material: One of the first things that you should do is to look at the materials that are used, which will depend on the specific type that you will choose. For a French Press, for instance, it comes with a glass carafe. See to it that the material is long-lasting, and more importantly, must be able to withstand the demands of camping.
- Weight: Portability is a critical concern in choosing the best camping coffee maker. Choose one that is as lightweight as possible. It should not be a significant addition to your camping gear. It is best to stay away from metal as it is usually heavy.
- Capacity: Are you looking for a coffee maker for personal use? Or would you rather pick one that will make multiple cups in one go? The higher the capacity is, the larger and the heavier the coffee maker will most probably be.
- Power Source: Some coffee makers do not require any power to operate, which is the better choice because they are more portable. Meanwhile, there are others that require electricity. There are also some that uses propane. Some coffee makers can be used on the top of a grill or stove, similar to the traditional kettles that you might have at home.
- Price: You should also consider your budget. Some people might be tempted to choose one product because it is cheap, but this should never be the deciding factor. At the end of the day, even if it is expensive, it does not matter if the quality is superior.
Top Picks for the Best Camping Coffee Maker
In this section, we will look at five of the best products available in the market, as well as some of the features that you will love about them.
Portability is perhaps the best thing about this coffee maker. It is made from plastic, which is why it is lightweight, and hence, easy to bring. It is complete with the parts that you will need, including a scoop and stirrer.
It comes with a patented design. You need to push the plunger for optimal extraction of the grinds, leading to fuller flavor and aroma. It may require quite an effort to push, but the outcome will surely be worth it.
The microfiltration mechanism is also a great thing about this coffee maker, making sure that the grinds will separate from your drink. This provides you an assurance that your coffee will be grit-free.
- Extremely portable
- Comes with filters
- Makes grit-free coffee
- Requires quite an effort on your end
- Has lots of parts
Among others, the stainless steel construction of this coffee maker is one of its best assets. It has a mirrored finish, making it excellent in terms of aesthetics. Such material is also known for its durability.
The lid, which fits tightly on the top of the percolator, is another thing that is exceptional in this product. The latter traps heat inside, which will make it more efficient.
It is also a good thing that it is designed with a permanent basket. This is convenient and economical in the long run. There is no need to use paper filters.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it has a capacity of 8 cups. Even if brewing coffee for a group, this should not be a problem.
- Solid construction
- Generous brewing capacity
- Has a permanent filter basket
- Has a plastic component that can melt
- Handle is awkward for people with large hand
Among others, one of the best things about this product is that it is made by Coleman, one of the most trusted names in the market for outdoor products. This can provide you with the confidence about the quality of the product.
The large capacity of the reservoir is also a plus. It will allow you to brew up to ten cups of coffee at a time. The reservoir also comes with a wide mouth, which means that filling it with water will not be a hard task.
Lastly, it comes with a pause and serve feature, which is not one thing that you usually find in camping coffee makers. This allows you to pour coffee in a cup in the middle of the brewing process.
- Easy to use
- Brews coffee with excellent quality
- Can make up to 10 cups of coffee
- Can be quite bulky
- Made from plastic that can be prone to melting
Among other things, the lightweight construction of this coffee maker is one thing that makes it ideal for campers. Bringing it along with you should never be a problem because of its weight and size. It won’t take too much space in your bag.
To add, you might also be impressed with the simplicity by which the product works, making it user-friendly. However, since it is a drip coffee maker, the quality of the drink is not as superior as the other methods.
Design-wise, it is also a good thing that the drip cone sits on the top of the plastic cup. There are legs that suspend the cone, which will prevent steeping.
- Affordable price
- Lightweight and portable
- Simple design
- Takes a while to make coffee
- Can be a bit flimsy
This 50-ounce French Press coffee maker is another option that should definitely be part of your list. It is made by the same manufacturer as the product above. Among others, one of the most impressive is the silicone ring plunger, which is basically the one that is responsible for maximum extraction for optimal flavor.
It is made from lightweight carafe that is also BPA-free. This can give you peace of mind knowing that it does not contain chemicals that can be toxic for your health.
The EVA sleeve is also a plus. It does not only make it look good, but also provides insulation, making it easy to keep your coffee hot. The sleeve can be removed for ease of cleaning.
- Rugged construction
- BPA-free construction
- Has an insulating sleeve
- Handle looks flimsy
- Create spills when pouring
The best camping coffee maker is an essential investment for every outdoor enthusiast. This makes it easy and quick to prepare your caffeine fix. However, its benefits will only be apparent if you opt to choose the right product. We hope that this guide was able to give you enlightenment.
If there is one that I can recommend, it is Aero Press Coffee and Espresso Maker. It has a lightweight construction, which makes it exceptional in terms of portability. It produces grit-free coffee that you can enjoy anywhere. You just need hot water and coffee grinds to make the perfect drink, even in the campsite.