Best Folding Saws: A Guide in Choosing a Reliable Camping Companion
Camping trips are fun, but can also be challenging. To have the best experience, it is important to be prepared. The latter entails the need to have the tools that you will need. Among others, the best folding saws can prove to be useful in more ways than one. The latter will specifically be useful when building your shelter. It can also be beneficial for clearing the trail if there is any obstruction and for cutting firewood. Of course, it is also a multipurpose tool as it can be used even in the garden.
While the best camping saw can prove to be beneficial in a lot of ways, the latter will be true only when you choose the right product. With this, if you need help in making the right decision, keep on reading the rest of this post. We will let you know some of the most important factors to consider and the top choices that are available in the market.
Why You Should Have a Folding Saw
A folding saw can be beneficial and useful in an abundance of ways. The following are some of the things that it can do, which can possibly compel you to haveit considered as an essential addition to your outdoor gears:
- It is Compact and Portable: because of its folding mechanism, it is a good thing that this type of saw is easy to bring, regardless of wherever you are going. This won’t be too much addition to the gears that you have to bring to the campsite.
- It is Multipurpose: The best folding camp saw can be used in more ways than one, which is another good reason to have it. aside from the campsite, you can also use it even in the garden, such as when trimming or pruning trees.
- It Makes Camping Easier: This is perhaps the best thing about folding saws. You will be thankful that you have it in the campsite. From preparing your shelter t cutting wood for campfire, it will be a useful tool.
Essential Factors to Consider When Buying
As you try to differentiate the options for the best folding saws, the following are some of the most important factors that you should take into account:
- Reliability: You should choose one that will be able to deliver dependable performance throughout its use. This means that it must be able to hold up to the tasks that it needs to accomplish.
- Blade: This is one of the most important things that you should consider. The design of the blade will be reflective of how efficient the saw will be able to cut. Alloy is one of the best materials for the blade. The latter has exceptional tensile strength and sharpness. An excellent design will not only increase cutting ability, but will also improve cutting stroke.
- Teeth: More than just the blade, you should also consider the teeth of the saw. Pay attention to Teeth per Inch, or TPI. It is better to pick one with more teeth, which also means that it will be able to produce a smoother cut. The size of the teeth is also essential. Larger teeth are good because it can cut quickly.
- Comfort: No one wants to use a folding saw that will lead to discomfort. With this, one thing that should be given attention is he design of the handle. It should be ergonomic. Also, see to it that it can be used by both right and left-handed users. The handle must be easy to grip and well-balanced.
- Reviews: Do not also forget to consult with the opinions of other people. Their reviews will be important in narrowing the possibilities that are available in the market. You can learn a lot from their experiences, such as how easy and comfortable a specific folding saw is.
- Cost: A lot of you, for sure, will be tempted to choose a product that comes with a cheap price. However, this should not be the case. This should be seen as an essential investment. spend if you must, especially if this means that you will enjoy top-notch quality and functionality.
Top Picks for the Best Folding Saws
Still clueless about which one will make the top choice? If you have no idea on what to pick, this section will outline five of the products available in the market, as well as some of their outstanding features.
This is one option that should be on the top of your list for the best survival saw. One of the best things about this product is that it has been designed and tested to keep up with the demands of the most challenging environments, which can provide you with an assurance of its durability.
In terms of features, one that you will love is the push-button lock, which is designed to be user-friendly. You can have peace of mind about your safety knowing that it stays locked, especially when you are cutting.
The rubber coating on the handle is also an exceptional feature. The latter makes it comfortable to hold, even for an extended period. Also, this means that your palm will not slip, minimizing the likelihood of suffering from an injury.
Lastly, it has offset teeth. This is a impressive design feature as it ensures the ability of the folding saw to cut on wood smoothly.
- Compact design
- Easy to handle
- Blade stays locked
- Prone to binding as you cut
- Can be too small for some
If you are a budget-conscious buyer, this is one product that you might be interested in buying. It comes with an economical price, but the quality is decent enough, especially if you limit its use to small-scale applications.
When looking for a folding saw, the quality of the blade is one thing that should be given emphasis. In the case of this model, it comes with Power Cut Stainless Steel Blade, which is commendable in terms of it sharpness. Nonetheless, some find the blade to be not as sturdy as others.
For your comfort and convenience, it comes with a well-designed ergonomic handle, which will be influential of your comfort. There is no need to worry even if you have to hold it for a long time. It has a nice curve and rubber cover, making sure that the saw won’t slip out of your hand.
The blade lock is another feature that you will love, especially because it ensures the highest level of safety. Regardless of the pressure that your hand exerts on the saw, you can be sure that the blade will stay lock in its place and will not accidentally fold.
- Comes with an affordable price
- Sharp blades
- Ergonomic handle
- Blade can be flimsy
- Only for light-duty jobs
Coleman is one of the most trusted global brands when it comes to outdoor products. This is already one good reason for you to choose this above other folding saws in the market.
When it comes to its features, one that you can possibly find to be impressive is its 7-inch blade. There are some people who might find it to be short, but for most tasks in the campsite, especially for light jobs, it should be more than enough.
Aside from the blade, another good thing about this folding saw is that it can cut efficiently as it is able to do so in both forward and backward strokes. This reduces the time of waiting before a piece of wood is finally cut. This also means that lesser effort will be required on your end.
Lastly, it comes with a Sure-Grip handle. As the name implies, this simply means that you are sure to have a strong grip of the handle all the time. this will minimize injuries as you will have a strong hold of the saw as you cut.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Lightweight and compact design
- Durable blades
- Made for light and infrequent use
- Does not stay locked when closed
This is another product that can be the perfect alternative for anyone who is looking for something affordable. With its price, however, keep your expectations low. If you want a folding saw for light-duty tasks, this will be decent enough.
When it is open, the length extends to 10.5 inches, which is only 6.25 inches when it is closed. The blade itself has a length of 5 inches and a thickness of 1.2mm. Another good thing about the blades is that it comes with triple teeth, which optimizes its cutting performance.
The ergonomic design of the handle is also impressive. It has a smart curve, which will allow you to hold it easily and firmly. It is also knurled, which will lessen the likelihood that it will end up slipping. Some, however, were deeply concerned with how the handle is made from plastic, a material that is known for its brittleness.
- Affordable price
- Triple teeth
- Easy to hold
- Handle looks flimsy
- Poor locking button
This folding saw comes with an .825-inch blade that is made from high carbon steel. There are some people who will complain about its thinness, but as long as you limit its use to light jobs, there should be no problem on how it will perform.
It comes with a black sheath, which protects the folding saw from damages that can be caused by external elements when it is not used. Also, this will make it safer as it will not accidentally unfold when you are not yet ready to use it.
Lastly, if you want to have peace of mind, the manufacturer is offering Limited Lifetime Warranty. This means that there is a guarantee of satisfaction. However, make sure to keep in mind the terms and conditions that have been specified so that the warranty won’t be voided.
- Lightweight and portable
- Sturdy construction
- Cuts quickly
- The blade is thin
- Problem with blade lock
Care and Maintenance for Folding Saws
Even if you have the best, it won’t stay in its tip-top shape through the years if you don’t take care of it. With this, the following are some of the things that you can do:
- Keep it dry and lubricated. WD-40 and gun oil are some of the top choices. Do this before the saw is stored if you will not use it for quite some time. This will help in the prevention of rust and will make sure that the saw will slide smoothly on wood.
- Use sandpaper or razor to remove rust. If in case rust has appeared on the blades, these materials will come handy. Make sure to do it properly and wear hand gloves to avoid the possibility of cutting your skin.
- Apply oil on the handle. This is important if the folding saw comes with a wooden handle. This will help to protect it from external factors that can be damaging, such as dirt and moisture.
In sum, the best folding saws can indeed offer an abundance of benefits beynd their uses in the campsite. If you love the outdoors, this is one thing that you should have. It is useful for setting up shelter, campfire, and survival. You ca even use it when pruning in the garden. However, they are not all created the same. With this, pay attention in choosing which one to buy.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is one that stands out from all others, it would be PrimosFolding Saw. The latter comes with a compact and lightweight design, which means that it won’t consume too much space in your camping gears. It has an excellent blade. The ergonomic design is also a plus, making sure of your highest level of comfort throughout its use.