What is the Best Headlamp for Hunting: A Must-Read for Hunters
Hunting boots, clothes, backpack, and tent – you might think that you have everything you need for your hunting trip, until you realize that you do not have a headlamp. The latter is one of the essential gears that you will need as it will help you to see in the dark. With this, if you are looking for the best headlamp for hunting, keep on reading the rest of this post and we will help you to come up with the right decision.
As you read this guide, you will learn the compelling reasons why you should have a headlamp, and more importantly, the five products that can be taken into account. We will have a rundown of their top features and the reasons why they will make a better option compared to many others within the competitive landscape.
Types of Hunting Headlamps
Before anything else, the first thing that you should do is to decide on the specific type of the hunting headlamp that will be chosen. In this case, the following are the options you will be confronted with:
- Floodlight: This is ideal for close proximity use only. When hunting, this may not be an effective choice because you might find it hard to see your target from a distance. It has a weak flood beam.
- Spotlight: This one has a focused narrow beam, which makes it perfect for viewing target at a long distance. Many of these lights can produce light that can be seen at a distance of 100 to 150 meters.
- Red Light: This is the most efficient from the three and is known for having an extended battery life. In fact, this is used even in search and rescue operations, which is already enough to believe that it is powerful.
How To Choose the Best Headlamp for Hunting
If you are finding it hard to choose the best headlamp for hunting, the following are some of the factors that should be given careful thought, making it easier for you to differentiate the possibilities:
- Light Output: This refers to the performance of the headlamp. It is measured in lumens, which refer to the total quantity of the emission of light in all directions. A higher number means that the light is brighter. However, keep in mind that as the lumen gets higher, this may also consume more power from your battery.
- Beam Distance: This is another technical specification that should be looked at. This would refer to how far the usable light can reach. This is going to let you know how far the light will go, as against lumens, which will give you an idea on how bright it can glow.
- Battery: Hunting headlamps are powered by batteries, which is why they are portable. There are some that have rechargeable batteries, which are good because they are economical compared to those that will ask for a replacement every time they are drained. Pay attention to the quality of the battery and make sure that they will hold charge for an extended period.
- Weight: When hunting, the least that you would want is to carry a heavy baggage with you. This can be uncomfortable, especially when it involves a lot of walking. With this, choose a headlamp that is as lightweight as possible. If it is too heavy, it won’t take long before you will complain of discomfort.
- Comfort: There are many things that will be reflective of the comfort that can be provided by the hunting headlamp. For instance, it should be lightweight, which will allow you to wear it continuously even for several hours. It should also have the right size. If it is too tight, this will restrict your head and will make you uncomfortable. It should also be assmooth as possible so that it won’t irritate the skin.
- Versatility: It is also good to choose a hunting headlamp that offers multiple functionality or several adjustments. Choose one that comes with at least three modes – low, medium, and high. This will allow you to customize the light output depending on the conditions of the environment. To add, it will also be good to choose one that comes with a strobe mode. This will function as an emergency blinker. It will also be good if it can be tilted, which will allow you to focus the light in a certain direction.
- Durability: A hunting headlamp should be seen as a long-term investment, which is why it should be as durable as possible. It must withstand the demands of the outdoors. It should be waterproof, and as much as possible, shock-proof. It should have a long lifespan.
- Reviews: This is especially important if you are a first time buyer. You should look at what other people are saying, especially through online reviews. With their experiences, it will be easier to narrow down the possibilities and to see how one is better than all others.
Top Picks for the Best Headlamp for Hunting
Below, we will have a rundown of five top picks for the best headlamp for hunting deer, coon, coyote, and elk, among others:
If you are searching for user-friendly bow hunting headlamp, this is one option you might want to include in your list. It comes with two separate buttons, which will make it easy to choose the lighting mode that is preferred based on the conditions of the surroundings.
Another good reason why you might want to choose this is its extended battery life, which will make it a reliable outdoor companion in your hunting trips. With new batteries, it can provide continuous light for up to 120 hours.
It is also a good thing that it is water-resistant. It has a rating of IPX6, which means that you can use it even when it is raining and without worry that it will get damaged.
To add, it has 168 lumens, which already speaks a lot about its brightness. To make it even better, it has a beam distance of 110 meters. This means that you can clearly see your target if you are far away.
Lastly, it has an elastic and comfortable headband, which can be stretched to fit the size of your head. Even when worn for an extended period, you will never complain of discomfort.
- Excellent beam distance
- Long-lasting battery
- Prone to moisture
- Brightness can be blinding
This is one option that you might appreciate if you are looking for hands-free night lighting for your hunting trips. This will illuminate your trail, provide a guarantee of your safety, and will help to keep an eye on your target.
In terms of design features, you might also love the multidirectional lighting that can be provided by this product. You can turn it to up to 90 degrees, which will allow you to direct the light where it is needed.
You might also love it because of having four light modes. Whether you want low or high light, you can easily choose which intensity is desired based on the needs of the surroundings.
When it comes to beam distance, it can provide light for up to 164 feet. To add, it has 30 lumens, which may seem like minimal, but for most hunting conditions, this will be more than enough.
If you have hesitations about the quality of the product, there is no need to worry. This is because the manufacturer offers 100% money-back guarantee, which is like a risk-free trial. If you are unhappy with the product, regardless of your reason, you can return it to the manufacturer and they will provide an unconditional refund.
- Has bright light
- Excellent battery life
- Can be confusing
- Not as durable as competing models
Looking for a turkey hunting headlamp that can deliver bright output even when you are in a dark environment? This is one option that you might love. You won’t surely end frustrated with the ultra-bright illumination that it can provide.
One of the things that we loved about this is how it comes with four light modes, providing you with the opportunity to choose which one is appropriate for a specific situation. You can set it at high, medium, low, and SOS mode, which is perfect if you are asking for help.
In terms of durability, you might also find this to be an impressive choice. Aside from being waterproof, it can also withstand wear and tear, which will make it a great investment. The hinges, however, could have been a lot better.
Lastly, it comes with a lifetime guarantee. This should be more than enough for you to be convinced that this will provide the best bang for the buck. All throughout its functional life, if you are unhappy in any way, just let the manufacturer know and they will extend a helping hand.
- Lifetime guarantee
- Different levels of illumination
- Comes with a comfortable headband
- Hinges can be stronger
- Poor light pattern
Among others, one thing that you might love about this product is the fact that it is versatile. It can deliver multiple functionality, making it a great investment, even if it is more expensive than the models earlier mentioned. It has three modes, all of which can deliver exceptional brightness.
This can also be impressive when it comes to its lifespan. Based on the information from the manufacturer, it can last for more than 100,000 hours, which is one feat that will be hard to match by most of its competitors.
Another good thing about this light is that it is zoomable. This will guarantee a clear vision of your target in a variety of external conditions.
Lastly, it has an easy-to-adjust strap. With the latter, you can have it tightened or loosened on your head. You can be sure that its fit will be customized based on what you personally prefer.
- Impressive brightness
- Rechargeable batteries
- Can be zoomed
- Complicated for beginners
- A bit expensive
With the use of this duck hunting headlamp, you are always in control. One thing that makes this possible is the adjustable lens, which will allow you to instantly switch from full to wide beam. You can also rotate it to a maximum of 90 degrees, allowing the product to provide directional lighting.
This can also be an excellent choice if you are looking for versatility. There are several choices for its lighting modes, including low, medium, bright, and ultrabright. There is also an emergency flashing mode and a whistle, making it easy to ask for help when needed.
The battery of this light is another feature that can compel you to purchase it. It is convenient since you can recharge it through USB. Also, the battery has 1,800MaH, which will be more than enough for 100 hours of use.
It also has an IPX7 water-resistance rating, which makes it one of the best in the marketplace. You can use it for hunting even when it is raining. Also, it can be submerged in water with depth of up to one meter for half an hour. It can also resist impact and cold.
- Has a battery indicator
- A bit expensive
- Quite difficult to control
There are many products claiming to be the best headlamp for hunting. As a responsible hunter, however, you should not believe these claims. Rather, you should do your research to find out which one should be chosen. From the five products that we have reviewed above, if there is one that we can recommend, it would be Vitchelo V800 Headlamp Flashlight with Red LED. It is ultra-bright. Sometimes, it can be blinding, but the good news is that it can be dimmed to suit different applications. It is comfortable to use and long-lasting.